Monday, December 20, 2010

Pondering about wikis

Wikipedia is the first word that comes to mind when I hear 'wiki'

I have mixed feelings about this term.For years I felt very reluctant to make use of wikis, but now I will admit that if there's anything I'm unsure about..probably the first place I will look it up for a quick explanation is Wikipedia.
During my University course..we were constantly cautioned against using it as a reference, which explains by initial reluctance to use it; however I do find it's easy to use to gain a quick understanding of something. Of course if I want to find more detail, I will look up other sources, but it's a place I like to check initially.

The trouble with having a page that anyone can edit..is that people can put anything on the pages..however incorrect! As a reference tool, it's probably not the best place to find quality information.

I'm an avid fan of many tv shows and movies..and often I've found that it's difficult to find detailed episode summaries, ratings and character profiles (and so on)and information anywhere else on the web, so fan made Wikis and wikipedia are what I go to.
Here's a link to the Harry Potter wiki, which is quite detailed (and I believe is also moderated, so information is generally quite accurate!)
harrypotter.wikia.com
This is just one of a myriad of other fan created wikis, where fans work together to create a database of information about their favourite shows, books or movies.

In a library setting, I've had a look at a few library wikis, and I can see how useful it can be. It comes across as being a lot more interactive than websites, where borrowers probably feel overwhelmed with all the information available.

I definitely think there is a lot of value in creating a wiki for our public libraries. It would be a great place to share information about what is happening in our libraries in a more modern take.

That ends week 5 of our learning..and It's almost Christmas time!
Will do my next post when I'm back from a holiday in a few weeks time :)

4 comments:

  1. Like anything else in life you need to take the time to get more than one source of info, but it is certainly a great place to start. Have a great holiday, be safe over the christmas period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you could guarantee the sites are correct and up to date the info would be very useful. Have a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unrelated to your post: What a great title for a blog! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes the issue of accuracy and moderation of the wiki doesn't go away for staff library wikis either. I'm just thinking about say library procedures or what events are going on in the library on any given day -- If you were to ask a number of people about the same thing -- what is the procedure for ...or What time does the xyz club meet? you are likely to get a range of answers. So what does that mean for everyone editing everthing?

    ReplyDelete