Monday, January 31, 2011

Discovering the true meaning on PODcasting..

Podcasting = non music audio or video broadcasts you listen to/view on your [i]Pod.
This is what I've always thought Podcasting stood for. Turns out that isn't quite correct..I discovered in the 'Plain English' video that POD = 'Personal on demand' making Broadcasting = PODcasting.

It's simple enough to subscribe through RSS feeds or Itunes. It also isn't all that difficult to set up your own podcast which others can subscribe to.

I personally don't make much use of podcasts. I did use it frequently during University to listen to lectures, but not much now simply because I already listen to a lot of music and follow many TV shows, I simply don't have much time to look into it much.

The one time I do have a chance to do this is when I'm driving. I used to love listening to the Hamish and Andy show every day on my way home from work. I then started working later hours so I started to miss the show when it aired (and this year, it is now a weekly show) so the podcast option came in handy as i could download and not miss out on the show completely. This is the only podcast I download to my iPod and listen to while I'm driving. I just find them hilarious!
Here's a link in case others are interested
Hamish and Andy podcasts

I can see libraries creating podcasts to educate their patrons on library topics and to share interviews with authors.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought of getting a podcast of a my favourite radio show, which I never get to listen to, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete